Saturday, December 09, 2006

Skratches


The first piece of the session. This would have been a good pose. The model was leaning her arms on a chair, putting her weight on one leg, on the seat of the chair (does this description make sense?). But the position was too much for her... she shifted A LOT for this pose. Now I understand how frustrating it could be for the artists when they're concentrating and the model shifts. Yet I also empathise with the model when the position gets too painful. The solution is to find a pose that he/she can hold for 15 minutes. And one that looks good for the artists. It's not a requirement for models to suffer for art. Haha. :-)

I was unsatisfied with the first piece. So I quickly sketched another one. See picture below. In the second picture, I've also drawn action lines and "intersection lines" (that's what I call them) to give me a sense of the position of the bones... hmm okay, that description sucks. So i recommend clicking on the 2nd picture and judge for yourself.




Obviously I was having a bad day...


The upper arm is okay, but the forearm is too long. Know why that's so? Because I've drawn a long body for the model. There are 3 folds of fat..perhaps too many. Yup, body's too long, with no definition. And the right butt is flat. And the leg that's hanging off the table? Urgh! Don't even mention it.
(PS: why am I voicing out my thoughts in my head?)

Now this looks rather fetching. It takes a while to warm up. The back, however, has some obvious trouble spots. Someone told me there should be a clearer division between the right and left area of the back. It does look a bit awkward. But I like the sole of the foot. : )

Other than the flat butt, the ambiguous lines, bad foreshortening of the right and left thighs... it works.

2 comments:

t'su said...

I'd have trouble drawing naked models due to the likely constant erection

But it's cool to watch your progress!

Milani said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom!
= )

Well, I asked a guy recently abt erections when he's drawing. He admitted it took him a while to get the hang of drawing w/o his fantasies going haywire during the session.

When you concentrate on putting the figure down on paper, with limited time, the body will start to look like a bunch of shapes and lines.