Saturday, January 06, 2007

post- modern s***

There are artists, and then there are artists.

I've come across artists who express their creativity by gorging on toilet paper and body paint for their performance "art". There are those who take on such common done-to-death themes as being alienation in the city and globalization. And those who dabble with experimental music by jumping on the music set on the night of the party - without practicing! - take the mic and (try to) rap, and croon a lullaby with what sounded like techno music in the background...it sounded eerie. Such spontaneity. I love the artists and many of those I just mentioned happen to be people I know and befriend, so it does look I'm badmouthing them. Still, being artists, their work for the presentation of the public is fair game.

If asked, I would just comment "interesting."

I can't bear it. Such avant garde art don't "speak" to me. My imagination isn't as vivid as theirs, perhaps, and I don't have a strong will to express myself in those manners. I like to work within a structure, and inside, I can explore. But I like imagination with some boundaries.

Enough of venting.

I had a so-so drawing session this afternoon. I sketched on new sheets of papers, unlike the scraps I usually used. Why does it look like I draw better on dirt cheap papers, and badly on good quality expensive ones???

I googled some names just now and realised I sketch with a bunch of old time respectable artists. I thank God for this good fortune. I can ask them for tips, and push/force/coerce them to teach me their secrets... alas, my skills are not up to par... *sigh*


Do your homework first, my young Padawan!!

A few days ago, during breakfast chat, art professor mentioned that it happens that young students who draw well early get stuck at that level and hardly progress. He has a student who started out in the semester not knowing how to paint and as the semester progresses, her techniques have improved, and shows signs of continuing. I guess there's truth and rewards in paying your dues.

Anyway, here are some pictures from this session:





No comments: