Hi! This project is taken from an epiphany I had this evening as I was painting.
The little epiphany I got was: LIFE IS IMPERMANENT.
Yes, we all know that life is full of changes. And that nothing stays the same. Nothing is forever. Nothing lasts. But how many of us have that experience and really be at present with the moment of change...and accept it as it happens?
I haven't. And frankly, I for one have a difficult time letting go and letting change happen and transform.
As I was painting this evening, I remember at an art class a few years ago, the art prof encouraged us to be used to change. Her words were: Don't try to be perfect. Don't be fixated on your art. Don't be enchanted by how beautiful your painting looks. Don't be fixated on how good your piece of work is. 'Cos it's just that. Paint it. And after you finish, don't be afraid to mess it up. Don't be afraid to tear that paper apart, and start over. START OVER!!!
You see, everytime change happens, I would have an excruciating time dealing with it. So, my art prof's words rang loud and clear to me. I decided to take matters into my own hands, and dabbled with a few pieces of works. Yes, it was unnerving erasing the portraits off the canvas. And no, I didn't know whether I was going to paint the same portrait over, and whether I would get the same result.
But, like Life, nothing stays the same. And even if I painted the same pose, it ain't gonna be the same as before.
All I know is, it was unnerving and uncomfortable to paint the portrait black and all those weird colors. But, on my canvas, I trust that it's gonna work out. I've no control over the painting process. But, from experience, I know *something* (usually good and surprising) will come out from this.
It got me thinking. I have confidence on the canvas. I have that faith. The faith to leap into the dark, and that leap out to nowhere is exciting.
But why is that I don't seem to have a grasp of the same cnfidence toward life in general?
My canvas, my strokes, the colors and where my brushes intend for them to go...is emblemetic of the way I see and live my life, I realise.
And, if Change is the one thing, one big fear I have, and have challenges dealing and accepting it, I'm gonna have to experiment with change on my canvas.
And what better way to experiment than by initiating the change with my own hands?
Watch for this space.

No comments:
Post a Comment